Your shower is supposed to be a place of relaxation and hygiene, so coming across yucky shower tiles is the last thing you want to see when aching for a shower. You now have work to do before you can get clean and kick back.
The good news is that cleaning your shower tiles is not hard. Just follow the next three steps—you don’t even have to scrub!
Step 1. Steam up the tiles
Steaming up the shower is always an excellent way to start! This step only requires you to run hot water for about ten minutes for the most superficial grime to loosen up. Now that the dirt is soft, you can proceed to remove it easily.
Step 2. Apply a cleaning solution to the tiles
It is crucial that you apply a strong cleaning solution to remove the grime to avoid scrubbing! As dirt will usually be light and scaly, your best choice is vinegar and detergent.
White vinegar is an acidic cleaner that can dissolve mineral deposits and loosen grime. On the other hand, detergent is the staple product that will add to a perfect cleaning! So, when combined, these two become one of the most effective cleaning solutions for tiles.
Mix equal parts white vinegar and detergent in a spray bottle or in an open container. Either spray it or dip a cloth in the solution and wipe the tiles—the solution will run down the tiles, but it will keep cleaning. So, give the cleaner an hour to work its magic!
Step 3. Rinse and wipe away the cleaning solution
Once the time’s up, remove the solution from the tiles! First, let the shower run for several minutes so the water washes the solution away. Then, use a microfiber cloth or a clean mop to wipe the residue and moisture from the walls.
If you want to take a shower after this task, it’s best to wait a bit to ensure everything is fully dry so no residue could harm your skin.
Is vinegar not working? Try these alternatives!
While vinegar solution is what you’ll most likely need, sometimes it doesn’t fix all the problems on your tiles. Here are two more cleaners you can try if this happens:
For general grime and smelly tiles: Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
Baking soda is not only a cooking and deodorizing product! When mixed with hydrogen peroxide, they become the perfect agent for breaking down stains and grime.
- Run the shower on hot water for about ten minutes to loosen up the grime.
- Make a spreadable paste in a bowl out of half a cup of baking soda and a quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide.
- With the help of a spatula or spoon, spread the paste over the dirty tiles and grout. Leave them alone for thirty minutes.
- Run the shower on warm for a couple of minutes and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.
For mold, mildew, and disinfecting tiles: Oxygen bleach
Oxygen bleach is a perfect cleaner for mold and mildew and kills germs. Plus, while it still contains powerful chemicals, it’s slightly less toxic than chlorine bleach!
However, you should always dilute bleach with water! This will help to avoid damaging your surfaces. So, to clean your tiles:
- Run hot water to steam the shower tiles for about ten minutes.
- Prepare the Oxygen Bleach solution by pouring three tablespoons into two gallons of water and mixing it well.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle, apply it to your tiles, and wait fifteen minutes.
- Rinse the shower tiles by running warm water for a couple of minutes and wipe clean with a microfiber cloth.
Warning: Always keep your area ventilated when working with bleach and wear gloves.
Do you need help keeping your tiles clean?
Having clean tiles is not a one-time-only job! You need to wash them every so often if you don’t want to walk into a grimy shower again.
Is this chore on top of your whole house cleaning too much to handle? CHRIStal Clean can help you keep your shower (and home) clean! Check out our cleaning packages,